Windows 7 is the most successful OS released to date. Microsoft released Windows 7 in six editions: Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Pro, Enterprise and Ultimate. Windows 7 Starter was released for small PCs and netbooks. It has limited features because it’s for common users. There are no specialized features in it. However, users of Windows XP will love using this innovative and securer OS. It’s available for 32-bit netbooks only.
Download Windows 7 Starter
Methods to Create Bootable USB Flash Drive [Installation Guide]
First, we need to create a bootable USB flash drive before starting the installation. It’s in fact, a process to convert the ISO image of Windows 7 into an executable file. I have discussed below the methods you can use in this context. Select any of them and create a bootable USB Flash drive.
Method # 1: Create Bootable USB via Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
Windows USB/DVD Download Tool is available on Microsoft’s official site. You can download it from there. If you feel that using a third-party tool is risky, use this software. It’s the easiest way to create a bootable USB flash drive. Any newbie can use it to create a bootable USB instantly. Follow the instructions below.
- Click Here to download the tool from Microsoft’s official site.
- Connect at least a 4GB USB with your Netbook.
- Download Windows 7 Starter ISO from the above section into an accessible place in your system.
- Now, double-click to the “Windows USB/DVD Download” tool and select “Run.”
- When it’s open, select the “Source File” box. Type the path of the ISO image file or use the “Browse” option to locate the ISO.
- Now, select “Next” from here.
- Select “USB Device” and then “Begin Copying” from here. The tool will start converting the ISO image into a bootable “.exe” file.
- Within a couple of minutes, your bootable USB flash drive is ready. Now, go to the USB flash drive and double-click the “Setup.exe” file to start the installation process.
Method # 2: Use RUFUS to Create Bootable USB Flash Drive
If you want to use a straightforward way, use Rufus. This third-party tool converts the ISO image into a bootable “.exe” file instantly. You don’t need to follow a long set of instructions. With a few clicks, your bootable USB flash drive is ready. Follow the instructions below.
- Download Rufus.
- Connect your pen drive with a PC.
- To create a Windows boot disk for Windows 7 or XP, select “NTFS” from the drop-down menu.
- Here, you will see a button that is similar to a DVD drive. It’s located the checkbox “Create Bootable Disk Using.” Select this option.
- Select Windows 7 Starter ISO file.
- Click “Start” and Rufus will start converting the ISO image into executable files.
- Within a couple of minutes, your bootable USB drive is ready.
- Connect it with Netbook and reboot it to start the installation process.
Method # 3: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive via Command Prompt
- Open Command Prompt from the Start menu. (Press Shift + F10 to launch Command Prompt.)
- Now, type a few commands here and press the “Enter” key every time.
- LIST DISK
- SEL DIS 1 (Replace “1” with the disk number where you have downloaded Windows 7 Starter ISO file)
- CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY SIZE=102400 (You can select your desired size)
- FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL=”WINDOWS 7”
- Now, select “Install Now” to a particular drive you have created.
- Restart the Netbook and select “Boot from USB.”
- The system loads files. On the Settings page, set your desired language, time and currency format.
- Also set Keyboard or input method and select “Next” from here.
- Now, select the option “Install Now” to start the installation process.
- Select “I Accept the License Terms” from Terms and Conditions page and click “Next.”
- Here are two installation options: Custom and Upgrade. If you want to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Starter, select “Custom.” If you want to upgrade only, select “Upgrade.”
- Now, select a disk drive where you want to install Windows 7 Starter.
- The system starts copying the files, then the file expanding and installation process starts.
- During this process, the system will restart multiple times. Don’t press any key and wait until the process is over.
- Now, add the product key in the given boxes.
- Finally, set the Network connection.
- That’s it. Your Windows 7 Starter is ready to use.
Windows 7 Starter Features
- Windows Defender is a great addition to Windows 7. This powerful tool keeps your data safe from viruses and hackers. It monitors your online communication and browsing to provide you with more security.
- Network Wizard brings an easier setup of a network. Now, you can set up a home or office network within a couple of minutes.
- Switching from one to another app doesn’t need to close a program. You can open multiple apps and switch from one to another in no time.
- Now, Startup is faster than its predecessor OS. You don’t need to wait for a long time to restart and shutdown.
- Windows Firewall provides you with more secure uploading/downloading. Hackers and unauthorized people can’t access your personal information/data. You enjoy a risk-free browsing experience.
- This edition has a quick settings wizard for Printer and Scanner.
Windows 7 Starter Limitations
This is an entry-level version of Windows 7. That’s why; it has fewer features. It’s secure and smooth to operate. However; this version has some limitations. Here they are.
- You can’t customize the background, Windows color, theme, and style. Even the sound pattern isn’t customizable.
- This edition of Windows 7 doesn’t have Windows Media Center. Remember, Windows Media Center facilitates you to record, rewind, watch or forward the TV programs.
- It doesn’t support DVD playback, multi-monitor, and Aero Glass feature.
- Win 7 Starter doesn’t have a Remote Media Streaming feature. So, you can’t stream audios and videos from a remote computer.
- It supports opening multiple programs up to 3 apps only. You can’t open more apps in it. Other editions facilitate you to open a large number of apps at a time.
To sum up, this edition is only for small PCs and netbooks. So, it doesn’t offer a wide range of features.