Windows 10 came to the spotlight with 12 innovative editions. All were not for PC users only. One was for Windows Mobiles and it’s known as Windows 10 Mobile Edition. It’s an upgraded version of Win 8.1 with smart features.
Note: Microsoft will provide no more support for Mobile Edition from 10 December 2019. You can continue using it, but Microsoft will stop issuing updates for it after the deadline.
Download Windows 10 Mobile Edition
Windows 10 Mobile Edition Compatibility
Windows 10 edition doesn’t support all handsets. Currently, it’s compatible with a few Lumia phones. The following are Lumia handsets supported by Windows 10 Mobile.
- Lumia 550
- Lumia 950/XL
- Lumia 630
- Lumia 635
- Lumia 636
- Lumia 638
- Lumia 730
- Lumia 830
The following are the system requirements. Check them before starting the downloading/installation process.
- At least 8GB internal storage space
- Minimum 512 MB RAM
(If the screen resolution is higher than 960 x 540, it requires 1GB RAM. For a screen resolution of 1440 x 900, you require 2GB RAM. In the same way, for a screen resolution 2048×1152, 3GB RAM and for resolution 2560×2048, a 4GB RAM is required.
- The minimum Screen resolution requirement is 800 x 480.
- Backup data before installation of Windows 10 Mobile
- Charge your phone to avoid the drained battery issue while installing Windows.
Note: People using a phone running on Windows 8 or 8.1 can upgrade to Win 10 Mobile for free. For an upgrade, Windows Insider helps bypass the current edition of Windows and upgrade to Windows 10.
Method #1: Use Windows DVD Ripper
Another easy way to install Windows 10 Mobile to your Lumia handset is to use DVD Ripper.
- Download the DVD Ripper to a PC.
- Connect your phone via data cable with PC.
- Insert a DVD into the DVD ROM.
- Open DVD Ripper and select the “DVD Disc” option from here.
- Check your phone’s compatibility with Windows 10 Mobile by using the “Output Profile list.”
- In the list, click on your phone’s model and locate the folder where you want to save Windows 10 Mobile ISO file.
- Select “Run” to start transferring Windows 10 Mobile ISO to your Phone.
- Open Windows 10 ISO, tap the setup file and click “Run” to start the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. The process will follow some restarts. So, wait until the process is over.
Method #2: Use Windows Insider App
Make sure, your phone is running on Win 8.1. Windows Insider app allows you to install Windows 10 with a few clicks. Here is the procedure.
- Click Here to Sign up for Windows Insider App by using a PC or mobile.
- After signup, download the “Windows Insider App” from Windows Store on your phone.
- Install the app and open it.
- Select “Get Preview Builds” and click the speed of Insider too. The “Fast” option installs the updates that are instantly available. The “Slow” option brings more stable updates.
- On the “Terms and Conditions” page, select “Accept” to proceed.
- Go to the “Settings” on your phone and open “Phone Update.”
- Here, select “Check for updates.”
- It will show you “Latest Windows 10 Builds.” Download it.
- Once, it is available, you need to install it by following on-screen instructions.
- During this process, your phone will restart several times. Don’t interrupt the setup and wait until it gets over.
So, you have successfully upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Enjoy using it.
Windows 10 Mobile Edition Features
Windows 10 has a variety of new features for mobile users. Let’s have a bird’s eye view to see what it offers to users.
Updated Cortana creates more attraction for users. Now, it’s more powerful and smart. The categorized search is more specific now. You can search for a particular document in different sections like documents, images, web, and others. It’s faster and better now.
Use an Android phone to access your PC and vice versa. Cross-platform connectivity brings a novel experience and great ease for users. The syncing of notifications in PC by using Android phone is a revolutionary step.
One Platform allows you to exchange videos, images, and documents with friends. Earlier, users had to use a third-party tool for this purpose. Now, One Platform keeps you connected with colleagues and friends.
Mobile version brings upgraded Outlook Mail, Calendar, Facebook and Skype. So, you are never away from your friends and family. These smart features have made the life easier and more comfortable.
Office Mobile suite is also upgraded. Now, view and edit your documents, presentations, and sheets without using a third-party app.
A variety of wallpapers and backgrounds is a part of Windows 10 Mobile. Users can customize them according to their desire. You can display the wallpapers behind translucent tiles. You don’t need to display them within the tiles now.
Users will love the photo app in Windows 10 Mobile. The app accesses the content from your PC, mobile, and OneDrive and automatically syncs photos. You can use the app to organize photos, rearrange in different categories. Retrieval of photos is also very easy.